Manchester Storm boosted their outside hopes of an Elite League play-off place with a 5-2 win over Dundee Stars.
Matt Sisca scored a hat-trick as Storm racked up a third straight win, although they needed a goal from Kevin DiDiomete to calm the nerves late on after the Stars briefly threatened an unlikely fightback.
Storm led 1-0 and seemed to give themselves breathing space with a second, only for the visitors to hit back straight away.
Both of Dundee’s goals were well taken, an indication of their position in the table rather than their performance on the night, though they came as close as you can without scoring by rattling a shot off the underside of the crossbar.
Storm eventually stretched their lead to 4-1 and appeared to be coasting to a simple victory as the game entered its last 10 minutes, but a goal for the Stars was followed by an onslaught that only came to an end when DiDiomete intercepted a pass in the Stars defensive zone to fire a first timer past Koenig.
This game was the 800th live sporting event I have ever attended – be it as a fan or a reporter.
- 100 – 25/01/06 – Football – Carling Cup – Manchester United 2-1 Blackburn Rovers – Old Trafford
- 200 – 09/03/08 – Rugby League – Challenge Cup – Widnes Vikings 60-18 Skirlaugh – Halton Stadium
- 300 – 15/11/09 – Ice Hockey – English Premier League – Sheffield Scimitars 2-5 Manchester Phoenix – Ice Sheffield
- 400 – 10/03/11 – Rugby League – Championship – Leigh Centurions v Featherstone Rovers – Leigh Sports Village
- 500 – 05/08/12 – Rugby League – Super League – Bradford Bulls v Widnes Vikings – Odsal
- 600 – 23/11/13 – Rugby League – World Cup Semi-Final – England v New Zealand – Wembley
- 700 – 15/02/15 – Rugby League – Championship – Leigh Centurions v Bradford Bulls – Leigh Sports Village