Yellows fall to disappointing home defeat

Barwell overturned a one goal half-time deficit to stun Warrington Town 2-1 at Cantilever Park.

James McCarten’s first half strike had the Yellows in front, but they fell to defeat against their lowly rivals with second half goals from Callum Ball and Declan Towers turning it around.

It meant Warrington’s indifferent form under new manager Paul Carden continues, with them languishing firmly in mid-table having played a handful of games more than many of their rivals.

This one could have been different had captain Ciaran Kilheeney converted a gilt-edged second half chance when through on goal.

On a pristine playing surface, despite the torrential rain overnight that saw many other games fall foul of the weather, it wasn’t a game many will remember.

An early Barwell free-kick was comfortably saved by Tony McMillan, before Danny Hattersley went down claiming a penalty at the other end, only to pick up a yellow card for his troubles for simulation.

On the half hour mark, the deadlock was broken. Hattersley, still without a goal for the Yellows, had his shot blocked and McCarten steered the rebound in to the half-empty net.

Somehow it wasn’t 2-0 at the break, when McCarten’s goal bound header wasn’t diverted in to the net by two Yellows players, who seemed to stop it from going in.

Warrington had to make do with a 1-0 lead at half time, and it should have been two before the hour when Kilheeney raced through and had his shot blocked by the goalkeeper’s legs.

The hosts were made to pay and Barwell equalised on 66 minutes. Ball’s long-range effort took a deflection and looped over McMillan.

The Yellows had sat back for much of the second half prior to that, and the game opened up in the final quarter.

Substitute Steven Gillespie was dispossessed in midfield and he was grateful for team-mate McCarten’s block to deny Ball.

Then at the other end, Peter Wylie got down the right hand side and pulled a ball back for Samuel Ilesanmi, who took a touch and gave the keeper chance to come out and block his shot.

It turned out to be crucial, as Barwell worked their way up the other end, forced a corner, and from it Towers was left unmarked and glanced a header in to the far corner.

Warrington have now lost five games at Cantilever Park this season, with their next two games also at home – Sutton Coldfield on Saturday and then Blyth Spartans the following Tuesday.

The ball comes back off the post for Warrington's goal - Picture John Hopkins

The ball comes back off the post for Warrington’s goal – Picture John Hopkins

So near but so far - Picture John Hopkins

So near but so far – Picture John Hopkins


Kilheeney one on one with the keeper who saved – Picture John Hopkins

Warrington Town: McMillan, Wylie, Nicholas, Williams, Robinson, McCarten, Toner (Gillespie), Duggan, Kilheeney, Hattersley (Ilesanmi), Metcalfe (Harries). Unused subs: Shaw, Wills.

Barwell: Castle, Taylor, Nisevic, Towers, Ballinger, Julien, Story (Martin), Stanley, Barlone (Grouse), Hickey, Ball. Unused subs: Baldwin, Edrington, Smith-Varnam.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *